

From: [Caul, Doug D IRR:EX](#)
To: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
Subject: CASA [s.12,s.13,s.16](#)
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:02:30 PM
Attachments: [CASA s.12,s.13,s.16](#)
[ATT00001.txt](#)

Sent via SharePlus v 4.9.7

Page 02 to/à Page 12

Withheld pursuant to/removed as

s.12;s.16;s.13

From: [Caul, Doug D IRR:EX](#)
To: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
Subject: CASA Speaking Points, **s.12,s.13,s.16**
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:02:05 PM
Attachments: [CASA Speaking Points, s.12,s.13,s.16](#)
[ATT00001.txt](#)

Sent via SharePlus v 4.9.7

Page 14 to/à Page 26

Withheld pursuant to/removed as

s.12;s.16;s.13

From: [Fraser, Scott IRR:EX](#)
To: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
Subject: Fwd: Meeting for Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group
Date: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:57:25 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bhikha, Jaymini LASS:EX" <Jaymini.Bhikha@leg.bc.ca>
Date: December 18, 2017 at 3:58:26 PM PST
To: "Fraser, Scott IRR:EX" <Scott.Fraser@gov.bc.ca>, "Donaldson, Doug FLNR:EX" <Doug.Donaldson@gov.bc.ca>, "Routley.MLA, Douglas G LASS:EX" <Douglas.Routley.MLA@leg.bc.ca>
Cc: "Roberts, Connie A IRR:EX" <Connie.Roberts@gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Meeting for Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group

Hello Minister Fraser, Donaldson and MLA Routley,

Sonia Furstenau would like to set up a meeting with Robert Morales, Chief of Cowichan Tribes and the other 6 nations in the Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group, as well as MLA Olsen, to discuss the treaty. Ideally she'd like this meeting in January, but of course understanding how busy your schedules are, we'll go with whatever is possible.

May I suggest we start with dates for Ministers Fraser and Donaldson, and then see what we can make happen?

Thank you,
Jaymini

Jaymini Bhikha
Caucus Coordinator
Green Caucus
250-387-8347

From: [Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX](#)
To: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
Subject: RE: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter
Date: Monday, February 5, 2018 7:51:47 AM

Brilliant – thanks!

From: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Sent: Monday, February 5, 2018 7:51 AM
To: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX
Subject: Re: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

You're good to go

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant to Minister Scott Fraser | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation

From: Trish.Balcaen@gov.bc.ca
Sent: February 5, 2018 6:22 AM
To: Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca
Subject: Re: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
Trish Balcaen
A/Assistant Deputy Minister
Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation
(250) 896-1902

On Feb 4, 2018, at 9:28 PM, Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX <Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca> wrote:

That works ...

I'll follow up with Donna

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant to Minister Scott Fraser | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation

From: Trish.Balcaen@gov.bc.ca
Sent: February 4, 2018 6:03 PM
To: Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca
Subject: RE: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

I'm going to prep to have these letters sent out at end of day tomorrow unless I hear

differently from you....

From: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:42 PM
To: Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX
Cc: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX
Subject: RE: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Asap...

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation | 778 587 4376

From: Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:23 PM
To: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Cc: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX
Subject: RE: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Thank you very much for reaching out about this Jonathan. If the Green Caucus indicates an interest in a briefing on this, I'll let you know ASAP. Do you know when these letters are likely to be sent?

Thanks again,
Donna

From: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:12 PM
To: Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX
Cc: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX
Subject: FW: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Hello Donna,

Below, I've attached a letter that our Ministry is required to send out to all First Nations (nearly 140) that have Forest Consultation and Resource Sharing Agreements with the government.

In keeping with the no surprises commitment, I wanted to make sure the Green caucus was aware. Its not something I anticipate they will need a briefing on. But If they would like a briefing, I've copied our ADM responsible for this file, Trish Balcaen and myself or Anne can join in a call to brief them.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions,

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation | 778 587 4376

From: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:13 AM
To: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Cc: Plank, Sarah GCPE:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX; French, Shawna IRR:EX
Subject: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Hi Jonathan,

Here is the final FCRSA revenue share template letter – it has not changed since you reviewed with Minister yesterday.

There is a contractual requirement in the FCRSA agreements to provide notification to First Nations about what the revenue share amount will be for the coming year. That is why we are sending out this letter.

The notification is traditionally sent out in November/December. In this case, we are late in this notification as we required confirmation of Government's decision about the mandate for the program before we could confirm revenue share projections with each First Nation.

Because we went through a program mandate decision with government, we've added additional content to the notification letter to ensure that First Nations are aware of the context for the decision by Govt and what is coming next in terms of program review.

As you are aware, we anticipate that this message will be a disappointment to First Nations with FCRSAs.

Please advise if you need anything further.

I will not send the letter out until I've heard back from you.

Trish Balcaen
A/Assistant Deputy Minister
Negotiations and Regional Operations Division
Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation
Office: (250) 356-1645
Cell: (250) 896-1902

From: [Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX](#)
To: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
Subject: Re: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter
Date: Monday, February 5, 2018 7:46:54 AM

No wrinkles. We'll give them a heads up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

----- Original message -----

From: "Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX" <Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca>
Date: 2018-02-04 9:29 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: "Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX" <Donna.Sanford@gov.bc.ca>
Cc: "Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX" <Trish.Balcaen@gov.bc.ca>, "Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX" <AnneMarie.Sam@gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Hi Donna,

Hoping to get these out end of day tomorrow. Give me a shout if that causes any wrinkles.

Thanks

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant to Minister Scott Fraser | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation

From: Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca
Sent: February 2, 2018 12:42 PM
To: Donna.Sanford@gov.bc.ca
Cc: Trish.Balcaen@gov.bc.ca; AnneMarie.Sam@gov.bc.ca
Subject: RE: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

[Asap...](#)

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation | 778 587 4376

From: Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:23 PM
To: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Cc: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX
Subject: RE: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Thank you very much for reaching out about this Jonathan. If the Green Caucus indicates an interest in a briefing on this, I'll let you know ASAP. Do you know when these letters are likely to be sent?

Thanks again,
Donna

From: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:12 PM
To: Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX
Cc: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX
Subject: FW: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Hello Donna,

Below, I've attached a letter that our Ministry is required to send out to all First Nations (nearly 140) that have Forest Consultation and Resource Sharing Agreements with the government.

In keeping with the no surprises commitment, I wanted to make sure the Green caucus was aware. Its not something I anticipate they will need a briefing on. But If they would like a briefing, I've copied our ADM responsible for this file, Trish Balcaen and myself or Anne can join in a call to brief them.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions,

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation |
778 587 4376

From: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:13 AM
To: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Cc: Plank, Sarah GCPE:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX; French, Shawna IRR:EX
Subject: FINAL - FCRSA Revenue Sharing Template Letter

Hi Jonathan,

Here is the final FCRSA revenue share template letter – it has not changed since you reviewed with Minister yesterday.

There is a contractual requirement in the FCRSA agreements to provide notification to First Nations about what the revenue share amount will be for the coming year. That is why we are sending out this letter.

The notification is traditionally sent out in November/December. In this case, we are late in this notification as we required confirmation of Government's decision about the mandate for the program before we could confirm revenue share projections with each First Nation.

Because we went through a program mandate decision with government, we've added additional content to the notification letter to ensure that First Nations are aware of the context for the decision by Govt and what is coming next in terms of program review.

As you are aware, we anticipate that this message will be a disappointment to First Nations with FCRSAs.

Please advise if you need anything further.

I will not send the letter out until I've heard back from you.

Trish Balcaen
A/Assistant Deputy Minister
Negotiations and Regional Operations Division
Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation
Office: (250) 356-1645
Cell: (250) 896-1902

From: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
To: [Copage, Caitlin GCPE:EX](#); [Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX](#)
Cc: [Roberts, Connie A IRR:EX](#)
Subject: Re: Green Caucus **s.12,s.16**
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:35:19 AM

Let's go forward tomorrow

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant to Minister Scott Fraser | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation

From: Caitlin.Copage@gov.bc.ca
Sent: February 13, 2018 10:30 AM
To: Donna.Sanford@gov.bc.ca; Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca
Cc: Connie.Roberts@gov.bc.ca
Subject: RE: Green Caucus **s.12,s.16**

Hi Donna and Jonathan –

Just spoke to Connie; the meeting is currently scheduled to go forward tomorrow morning at 8:15 with DM Caul in place of Jessica Wood.

If Jessica is required, the meeting would need to be pushed back farther than this Thursday (Feb 15) – Jonathan, please let us know if it's best to go forward tomorrow morning without Jessica or find a later time to ensure Jessica can attend.

Thanks!

Caitlin Copage
Senior Analyst, Policy and Consultation
Confidence and Supply Agreement Secretariat
caitlin.copage@gov.bc.ca
p. 778-677-6651

From: Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:06 AM
To: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Cc: Roberts, Connie A IRR:EX
Subject: Re: **s.12,s.16**

As far as I know it is tomorrow at 815 AM. Has there been a change?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

----- Original message -----

From: "Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX" <Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca>
Date: 2018-02-13 8:30 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: "Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX" <Donna.Sanford@gov.bc.ca>
Cc: "Roberts, Connie A IRR:EX" <Connie.Roberts@gov.bc.ca>
Subject: **s.12,s.16**

Hey Donna,

Did we ever find another date for the briefing of the Green caucus on our **s.12,s.16**
s.12,s.16

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation |
778 587 4376

From: [Plank, Sarah GCPE:EX](#)
To: [Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX](#)
Cc: [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#); [Kerr, Paul IRR:EX](#); [French, Shawna IRR:EX](#); [Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX](#)
Subject: Re: Revenue Sharing 2018_19 - ltr template_Feb1
Date: Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:27:21 PM

Will do that next, now that I've got everybody's OK from our side of things. Jonathan, I will share it with you once I run it by the other ministry.

Sarah Plank
Communications Director | Ministry of Indigenous Relations & Reconciliation
Government Communications & Public Engagement
Mobile: [250.208.9621](tel:250.208.9621) | Email: sarah.plank@gov.bc.ca

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX <Trish.Balcaen@gov.bc.ca> wrote:

You bet – I'll send over after I've confirmed with FLNRROD Exec. Sarah – have you got FLNRROD GCPE shop looped into the IN?

From: Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:20 PM
To: Balcaen, Trish L IRR:EX
Cc: Plank, Sarah GCPE:EX; Kerr, Paul IRR:EX; French, Shawna IRR:EX; Sam, Anne-Marie IRR:EX
Subject: Re: Revenue Sharing 2018_19 - ltr template_Feb1

This is good to go from MSF

Trish: Can you send a few sentences on what this letter is and why it has to go out (dry, as discussed) I can share with casa?

Jonathan Sas | Senior Ministerial Assistant to Minister Scott Fraser | Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation

From: Trish.Balcaen@gov.bc.ca
Sent: February 1, 2018 2:30 PM
To: Jonathan.Sas@gov.bc.ca
Cc: Sarah.Plank@gov.bc.ca; Paul.Kerr@gov.bc.ca; Shawna.French@gov.bc.ca
Subject: Revenue Sharing 2018_19 - ltr template_Feb1

Hi Jonathan

We've reworked the language in the letter as discussed.

Will you take a look and let me know if you and Minister are comfortable with it?

I'll work with FLNRROD exec on this end after I've received feedback from you.

Cheers,

Trish

From: [Copage, Caitlin GCPE:EX](#)
To: [Roberts, Connie A IRR:EX](#); [Bhikha, Jaymini LASS:EX](#)
Cc: [Lilly, Liz LASS:EX](#); [Sanford, Donna L GCPE:EX](#); [Sas, Jonathan IRR:EX](#)
Subject: Request: Meeting - Reconciliation
Date: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:48:17 PM

Good afternoon, Connie and Jaymini –

Minister Fraser has asked us to help schedule a meeting with MLAs Olsen and Furstenau regarding reconciliation.

Timing:

- 45 mins
- Mid-Feb (pre Feb 15 if possible)

Attendees:

- Minister Fraser
- MLAs Olsen and Furstenau, and Green Caucus staff as required
- IRR staff – Jessica Wood required; Doug Caul optional
- MAs – Jonathan Sas, Anne-Marie Sam
- Confidence and Supply Agreement Secretariat – Donna Sanford and/or Caitlin Copage

Location:

- Given the number of participants, a meeting room would be great.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I can do to help coordinate.

Best,

Caitlin Copage
Senior Analyst, Policy and Consultation
Confidence and Supply Agreement Secretariat
caitlin.copage@gov.bc.ca
p. 778-677-6651